Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Green Leaf: Microwave Popcorn

Ok so I know I said this was going to be a weekly green tip and this topic isn't actually paired directly to green building, but this issue has got under my skin the past few days. We had a big discussion in my house about types of popcorn. My dad tried to bring in microwave popcorn into our house this weekend. I have major issues with microwave popcorn.
  • First there are a magnitude of chemicals in the popcorn with the cheese that I would not want in my body.
  • Secondly when the bag is heated up all the plastic in the bag seeps into the popcorn which you then eat. This could make you get cancer in a very severe case or if you eat too much.
  • Thirdly there is so much unnecessary packaging that comes along with the microwave popcorn that goes into the landfill and hurts our earth.
Those are 3 reasons why you should stay away from microwave popcorn.

No comments: